This blog site focuses on cards and projects utilizing materials and tools from various scrapbooking and paper craft companies.
If you are interested in cards and projects made with rubber stamps from various companies, please check out my other blog site "Stampin' Inspirations".


Come and join the Christmas Group Site on Paper Craft Planet
Click on the banner below


Sunday, August 31, 2008

Thanksgiving Decor - Altered $1 Wood Cut Outs

Hi Everyone! I saw a few raw Thanksgiving wood cut outs at JoAnn while I was standing in line to pay my stuff. You know, the $1 wood cut outs that are near the registers. These are the ones that has the cheapy markers for little kids to color with. I thought. . .hmmmm. . .I could do something with these raw wood decor. Besides, they're only a dollar and if I screw up, I won't feel too bad! LOL!

Anyway. . .I painted the wood with acrylic paint. What I thought was going to be an easy project turned out to be a little bit more complicated. I could have colored the wood a flat color but I didn't think it would look nice so I had to layer the colors and give them a bit of texture. It was also difficult to color within the lines because acrylic paint tend to be quite thick and if you remotely color the outline. . .well, it gets covered up. In the end, it was quite therapeutic to sit and paint these wood decor.

You can't really see it in the picture but the layers of paint in different colors actually has a bit of texture and the layers of colors show up better in person. Anyway. . .this will make for a great Thanksgiving decoration. Don't you think?

Well, I hope y'all have a wonderful Labor Day tomorrow!!

10 comments:

Katherine said...

Wow wow wow wow!!! These are GORGEOUS!! I love the highlights and the texture that shows up in the photos! So pretty! I may have to make a trip into town to see if any of the big hobby stores have these wood shapes! Thank you for sharing these!
-Katherine M.

Rita said...

Adorable! I can see that your house will be decorated very nicely for thanksgiving! Great idea & fantastic coloring on these cut outs!

Risa said...

Your altered cut outs are adorable Maria! I love the way you painted the scarecrow and the pumpkin and the highlights are terrific!!!
When Thanksgiving rolls around, please show us pictures of your decorated home!
Take care and have a wonderful Labor Day:)

Tonniece said...

How sweet. Love them Maria.
Sounds like a lot of work, but from here it looks so worth it. These are painted to perfection.


Happy Labor Day Monday to you

Anonymous said...

You are so reative. I'd love to see your table decorations for Thanksgiving!

2 Worlds said...

I agree they are adorable

CreativeMish said...

how fun! You did a great job!

Kim(Kimmie to a select few) said...

I am now one of your biggest fans, you are so truly talented and your work is so beautiful! Can't wait to keep following, learning and just enjoying it all. Thank you for inspiring me.

Maricar said...

Maria,
These are darling.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Adorable. Love the painting. I'll bet the texture really makes them come to life. :O)