This blog site focuses on cards and projects utilizing materials and tools from various scrapbooking and paper craft companies.
If you are interested in cards and projects made with rubber stamps from various companies, please check out my other blog site "Stampin' Inspirations".


Come and join the Christmas Group Site on Paper Craft Planet
Click on the banner below


Monday, November 13, 2006

Product review - White Cardstock

White Cardstock - Georgia Pacific

When I first discovered rubber stamping. . .well, I was "brand name" happy. I thought the only products that I could use had to be a brand that is related to rubber stamping. Well, I learned a few things through my journey in the rubber stamping world.

Walmart. . .yes, Walmart is a great source for rubber stamping and scrapbooking products. They are limited in what they sell but they do sell a few items that are worth taking a look at.
Did you know that many brand name companies sell their products to Walmart and sometimes, repackage them with a different name or sometimes they don't. For example, EK success sells their products at Walmart and it's about 1/3 the cost of those sold at craft stores.

Brads and eyelets are sold at Walmart in 500 to 750 packs and cost less than $10.00. I believe I bought a 750 pack for $6.50. Making Memories sell their multi-pack of 600 eyelets for $19.99 at Joann. Okay folks, who cares what brand of eyelets you use on your cards. . . .an eyelet is an eyelet unless you are looking for a specific color. . .then who cares, right?

Anyway. . .back to my product review. . .

Walmart carries a ream of white cardstock by Georgia Pacific (ream of 150 - 8 1/2 x 11 sheets) that are 110 lb weight for $6.00. Unless you are planning to watercolor, this cardstock looks and feels like any other cardstock sold at the craft stores that are twice to 3x more expensive. At Micheals and Joann, a pack of 50 sheets cost about $4.99 and trust me, I can't tell the difference. . .as a matter of fact, the ones sold at the craft stores - are thinner and of lesser quality.

You can do light watercoloring on this cardstock because it's heavy enough to do so but if you are planning to layer the colors and use water heavily I don't recommend doing so on this cardstock. Single layer watercoloring is fine - it won't warp the paper once it dries and the integrity of the cardstock remains intact.

Check it out when you have a chance! Believe me, you'll never buy plain white cardstock at the craft store ever again.

No comments: