This blog site focuses on cards and projects utilizing materials and tools from various scrapbooking and paper craft companies.
If you are interested in cards and projects made with rubber stamps from various companies, please check out my other blog site "Stampin' Inspirations".


Come and join the Christmas Group Site on Paper Craft Planet
Click on the banner below


Monday, August 13, 2007

Daily Special - Scrapbook Layout - Yay, My First 12x12 Layout!!

Today's Daily Special is "Scrapbook Layout". This is my very first 12x12 layout! I know. . .it sounds rather unbelievable that I've never created a 12x12 layout ever. I've made mini albums and a few digital ones but not a regular scrapbook page. I don't know why I never did try it out.

Scrapbooking is so personal and it's easier for me to create a card for someone else than to create something for myself. With scrapbooking, I tend to fuss too much about it. I think that's the reason why I never jumped into the full scale scrapbooking thing. It's a permanent thing. With cards that I sell or give away, I don't see them again . . .well, only when I look back at my blogs. There's a sense of letting go. . .yah, know. You're like "huh?, why is she so philosophical about scrapbooking and card making". Yeah, I guess I'm too serious about this stuff.

What do you think of this layout? Funny because I was in love with the designer paper that I could not cover it up so I rearranged everything to show as much of the paper as I could.


What was I trying to achieve with this layout? Well, first of all I wanted to include the "postcard version" of the waterfall and wanted to show that we actually were there. The journaling has the date and I wrote about our visit to the Bridal Veil Waterfall in Telluride.


Because I'm new at this stuff. . .I need a little more practice. I've been looking at scrapbooking blogs, magazines, books, galleries, etc. . .just to get some idea of what other's do. There doesn't seem to be a set standard. Some layouts are simple, some very busy, some with minimal embellishments, some with lots of embellishments. . .

I do notice more layouts that are very simple than very crazy busy ones. I think the trend is to focus on the picture rather than the stuff to decorate the page. I'm not sure which I like better right now.

Right now I think I'll stick to simple and gradually work my way to more elaborately designed layouts. I need your critique of my layout. . .what do you think I should have done or not done. Is the design too simple? Be honest. I can't get better if I don't get honest inputs. I don't mind constructive criticism. What would you have done differently with this layout or design?

Page Details:

Paper: K&Co Happy Trails designer paper, DCWV textured 12x12 cardstock Fall Stack, SU Tempting Turquoise
Accessories: Title created with Craft Robo, Darice rhinestones, SU Brocade Blue, SU Slit Punch, Sakura Souffle Gel Pen

6 comments:

Little C's Creations said...

congrats on your 1st 12x12 layout, girl! you did great. I wouldn't do anything different. It defies you, and you are right - it's very personal. SO, with what you come up with, it just makes it more beautiful, cause you're putting your thoughts, feelings and ideas on a page.

way to go! i hope to see more in the near feature.

hugs,
Jen

Risa said...

You hit the nail on the head Maria!
Scarpbooking is a personal thing....you make what YOU like. I would go insane trying to keep up with all the trends. You have to do what makes you comfortable. Your layout is beautiful and represents a wonderful time that you and your family had together. You did an amazing job and I love it. I can't wait to see more!
Sincerely
Malieta:)

michelle sturgeon said...

Yippee! You did it! A great job, too!

Anonymous said...

I think it's great! Love the lay-out and what you did with the flowers... I would say this is more than just a simple page. :o) TFS!

NormaJ said...

I have just started scrapbooking
12x12's too. But I still find the
simple approach works for me. I am
gradually adding more embellishment
as I work with my photos, but I try to keep it my work and not just a copy of everyone's elses.
I love your layout. Do what makes you happy and it will always work.

Unknown said...

The layout is great and especially because it is your first! Love the design.